Be Informed

What medications can I turn in?

Participating Locations
Pharmacies that participate in the Nebraska MEDS disposal program can accept prescription drugs, both controlled and non-controlled, and over-the-counter medications. You can turn in tablets, capsules, gels, patches, liquids, ointments, creams, powders, and inhalers.  Click here for a list of pharmacy drug disposal locations.

Controlled Substances
Controlled substances can include medications for pain or ADHD. You will be given a pre-addressed, pre-paid envelope to mail back controlled substances to an approved disposal location.  Pharmacies with MedSafe units can accept returned controlled medications otherwise you will be provided a return envelope.  

Medical Equipment or Hazardous Materials
The following items cannot be turned in at a pharmacy collection site:

  • Mercury-containing items such as thermometers
  • Medical devices such as hearing aids or blood glucose monitors
  • Hazardous liquids such as hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol